5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 12:15 AM by Sorbsbuster

Avoid tabbing through all portal rows?

njem

Title

Avoid tabbing through all portal rows?

As a user tabs through the fields in a record/layout when they get to the portal I would like it to either tab to the current or top row or the new row and then tab out of the portal and on to other rows. As it is it tabs into the top line of the portal and makes them tab through all the rows in the portal (which also scrolls the most current lines out of sight) before exiting the portal and going on to other fields. (If I reverse the sort so tabbing through them leaves the most recent in sight then they are not in sight to begin with.) I've tried disabling tabbing into the portal but then I can't edit it at all. I've tried OnEntry of the portal object it goes to the last row but then you can only go there. If you try to click into another row to edit it it treats it as a new "entry" and goes back to the last row. Any ideas or how do other people deal with this?

• 1. Re: Avoid tabbing through all portal rows?
          Sorbsbuster

When you say, "I've tried disabling tabbing into the portal" do you mean that in Layouts | Set Tab Order you have excluded the portal from the Tabbed Order?.  Or in the Inspector you have stopped it being entered in Browse Mode?  The first one should stop the portal being tabbed into if that is what you want, but you will still be able to click into it anywhere to edit it.

• 2. Re: Avoid tabbing through all portal rows?
            njem

I tried the Layout, Set Tab Order before but I quess I wasn't understanding how it worked. Using that, yes, I can just take it out of the tab order and click in it if I want to edit. Not what I was aiming for but better than having the tab order step all the way through the portal lines. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Avoid tabbing through all portal rows?
              Sorbsbuster

Not wishing to argue with a 'ticked' answer, but what other behaviour were you aiming at that isn't accommodated?

• 4. Re: Avoid tabbing through all portal rows?
                njem

Ideally? That I be able to order them so the most recent is on top (which I'm doing), that a new blank record ready for use is actually to topmost line, just like the bottom most line in a table view, and when I tab to the portal it goes to that topmost row and if I tab again it moves out of the portal on to whatever fields follow.

Well I've just been looking at this sample db in another answer that uses a separate one-row portal as a place to add new records and another portal that shows more rows but is not part of the tab order. Looks like I can use that to do exactly what I was describing.

• 5. Re: Avoid tabbing through all portal rows?
                  Sorbsbuster

"...that uses a separate one-row portal as a place to add new records" - exactly.