6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 5:35 PM by philmodjunk

Avoiding duplicate entries

cmeyers

Title

Avoiding duplicate entries

I have created a FMPro 12 file for my current wine cellar inventory and have been using it to mange inventory for over 20 years.  Each record (currently over 1000 records) is for a particular type wine purchased. Each record has over 20 items of data with one field reserved for bottle tag numbers. Each bottle has a tag number which is three characters long with either 3 digits or an alpha charter followed by 2 digits (i.e. 572, R23).  Each bottle tag number corresponds to the bin number in the cellar where the wine is stored.  As I drink the wine I remove the bottle tag number from the tag / bin number field and use the tag to know which bins are empty and available for newly purchased wine.  I some times make mistakes and forget to remove old tag numbers before reusing that number (and bin) for new wine.  Is there a way to check in FMPro 12, the tag numbers across all records to make sure there are no duplicate tag numbers being used? I would like to be able to do this during data entry so I get an error message if I try to use a tag number (for a new bottle of wine) with a tag number that is already being used.