3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 12:45 PM by philmodjunk

Backing up specific (project) records

brodlang

Title

Backing up specific (project) records

All of our FMP work in done in projects. Therefore whenever we open a form, data is presented in a found set for the particular project the user is working on.  Pretty standard.  Has anyone got a good scheme for backing up all the relevant data (5 or 6 tables) just for a particular project?  Often on a large project or a project that requires extensive editing, we want to save our original and/or current data before we start so that we can restore it if necessary.  Should I export to new empty db tables?  If so, should I be creating a new db for each occurrance or put all the different back ups together?  Before I get too far into it, I was hoping someone might have a reasonable working system they could describe.

We will be setting up a daily back up routine, and I know I can find the data here, but this won't always work for us.

Thanks, BL

• 1. Re: Backing up specific (project) records
          philmodjunk

We will be setting up a daily back up routine, and I know I can find the data here, but this won't always work for us.

But why won't that always work for you? Simply saving and keeping regular backups will be much simpler than trying to isolate the correct set of records in a group of related tables for some other backup.

A clone of the file could be generated and then import records can be used to import the data from found sets set up in the original copy of the file.

Another option might be to set up a script where you save a copy of the file and then the script finds and deletes all records in that copy that aren't part of the specific project.

• 2. Re: Backing up specific (project) records
            brodlang

Standard back ups will be necessary.  Sometimes we want to save (or archive) the original info in case we have to go back to it for reference or start our edit anew. With a standard back up scheme, wont the original data get written over daily and/or with so many uses? 

Both of your suggestions above sound doable.  I think the first would be best for us.  I want this to be a one button operation for the user.  I think I can handle the scripting except for how to pass the path name in the "Speicfy Output File" dialog box.  It'll need to create and name a folder on first use.

I'm still in beta, but I will be uprgading to FMP Server. Did I read somewhere that Save A Copy As isn't supported?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Backing up specific (project) records
              philmodjunk

With a standard back up scheme, wont the original data get written over daily and/or with so many uses?

Not necessarily. You can use a back up utility to back up from a backup folder and save those backup copies indefinitely. We routinely pull one back up copy each month and archive it in a different location.

Save a copy as... cannot be done from the client of a hosted file, but since server can save backup copies and you can keep a "master clone" file on hand in a container field from which to make copies via export field contents, this does not mean that you can't use either of the other two methods that I have briefly described.

FileMaker cannot create new folders on a computer without help. That help can be a system script performed by FileMaker such as a windows batch file or VBScript or there are plug ins that you can acquire for that purpose.

And when you need to specify a location and filename in a FileMaker script, often a $Path variable is used. You may find this thread on the subject to be of interest: Exploring the use of a $Path Variable in Scripts