3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2013 4:14 PM by philmodjunk

Backup from Server

Terri

Title

Backup from Server

Hi,

We have a server that copies over all FMPro 11 databases at various times throughout the day. When major changes need to be made they are usually tested on a backup copy that is pulled off the server. When I do that, however, I notice that all the records in one particular table only so ? in the fields. Is there a reason why this would happen?

• 1. Re: Backup from Server
          philmodjunk

What do you mean by "we have a server"? Unless you mean that you have FileMaker Pro Server installed and it is set to  make backup copies of your files, it is likely that your backup system is backing upt open FileMaker Files. Backing up an open file risks damaging the backup copy and this is likely why your are getting ?'s in the table. Only closed files should be backed up by 3rd party backup software.

• 2. Re: Backup from Server
            Terri

Sorry, I mean we have a FM Pro Server. The backups are done on two-hour increments and I'm sure there are people in them at that time, however, even I pull a copy from midnight last night when I know no one was in the database I still see the question marks. I can do some testing tomorrow to ensure that no one is in the DB at the time of a backup - but I am not confident that is the problem. Any other thoughts?

• 3. Re: Backup from Server
              philmodjunk

If the file is hosted by FileMaker Server, it is open all the time. It does not matter if there are users accessing the file or not, it's open. But if you are using FileMaker Backup schedules to backup the files, this should not be a problem. Only if you are using 3rd party backup software to back up your open files will you have the problem that I am warning against here. If you are using 3rd party backup software, set FileMaker Server to backup your files, then set the 3rd party backup software to backup only the backup copies generated by Filemaker Server.

FileMaker Server can't back up to a remote location, so this is one method to backup your files to an off site location.

If you are using server to back up your files, open the server console and check to see if the backup schedules are wet to verify the backups. This is not recommended for hourly backups, but you should set up an additional schedule for nightly backups that do verify the backup copies. If you have verified backups being made, check the log to see if they are being successfully verified. If not, that can indicate that your file that you are using is damaged.

Whether the original or only the backup copy is damaged, either way you can run a recover on the file to check it for damage. Even if FileMaker does not report fixing any problems, open the recovered copy and see if it still shows the ?'s. Recover rebuilds field indexes so the index rebuild might correct the issue.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              3.           Recover does not detect all problems
              5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).