1 Reply Latest reply on May 5, 2014 6:11 AM by philmodjunk

Backup script for different PCs possible?

grouper

Title

Backup script for different PCs possible?

Hi all

I 've created a DB which is currently saved in a dropbox folder, so that I can have access to it from different locations. I mainly use it from my desktop and my laptop. I 'd like to set up a script (or maybe another simpler way) so that each time I close the database, a copy would be saved to a specific folder on each computer. In order not to confuse FM, i guess that I should create at the desktop of each PC the same folder, named X, and inside it create another folder named FM_Backups, which is the target folder for the database copy.

But since I may access it from yet another PC that is not mine and i wouldn't want a copy to be saved there, the backup process should prompt me with a pop-up window each time i close the database, asking for permission to create the backup.

is that possible in FM?

thanks

• 1. Re: Backup script for different PCs possible?
          philmodjunk

It is possible. Show Custom Dialog can be used to ask permission with Get ( Lastmessagechoice ) used in an If step to determine which button in the dialog was clicked.

Get ( DesktopPath ) can return the file path to the desktop of the current computer for the current user account so you can sue that to compute the needed file path to put into a $Path variable. Save a Copy As can then use that $Path variable to save a copy of a file to the designated location on the desktop.

For more on $Path variables and the script steps that can use them, see: Exploring the use of a $Path Variable in Scripts