5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 11:30 PM by mariahsharp

Barcode Inventory

grocha

Title

Barcode Inventory

Does anyone know of a barcode were i can scan a barcode to make it show up on an invoice as a barcode? Im able to scan a barcode and it enters the number into field but i like for it to show as an actual barcode and not just a number. Thanks.

Also does anyone know how to be able to make the database extract or add? Lets say i am taking this item out deduct it from inventory. If im adding an item add it to inventory. 

• 1. Re: Barcode Inventory
          philmodjunk

Does anyone know of a barcode were i can scan a barcode to make it show up on an invoice as a barcode? Im able to scan a barcode and it enters the number into field but i like for it to show as an actual barcode and not just a number. Thanks.

With many barcodes, all you need is to install the font for that barcode. Not only can you then display the barcode on your invoice, you can also print your own barcode labels should you need to.

Also does anyone know how to be able to make the database extract or add? Lets say i am taking this item out deduct it from inventory. If im adding an item add it to inventory. 

When you scan the items, you can set most scanners to append text on the end of the scanned data. I've set scanners to append a tab, return or enter character to the end of the scanned data and set the field into which the data is being scanned to use that character to exit the field. (See behavior in the Inspector) Then I can use OnObjectExit with this field to trigger a script that takes the scanned data and does whatever I need it to to process the transaction that this barcode represents.

Your script can find a record in a table and increment or decrement a field in that record to add or remove an item from inventory. You can also set up a script that logs an inventory change in a table set up much like you might use as a check register to log deposits and withdrawels. If you think that second options is interesting, search this forum using the key words "inventory log" and see if you can't pull up some previous discussions of this approach.

• 2. Re: Barcode Inventory
            RossanoIennarelli

I'm aving a quite same problem, where I get the barcode font?

• 3. Re: Barcode Inventory
              rjlevesque

I always suggest this place for your barcode font:

http://www.idautomation.com/fonts/free/

The most commonly used barcode fonts are "Code 3 of 9" and "Code 128", it really just depends on your needs. Out of those two most people find that "Code 3 of 9" suits their inventory needs the best. If you would like some suggestions for good scanners to use also please let me know.

• 4. Re: Barcode Inventory
                DavidMartin_1

Check the Native FileMaker barcode generator that support displaying of barcode on FileMaker Pro.

• 5. Re: Barcode Inventory
                  mariahsharp

and you can check this filemaker barcode guide