3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 1:08 PM by philmodjunk

Barcode Inventory adding and subtracting to total in stock

user14040

Title

Barcode Inventory adding and subtracting to total in stock

I am trying to use a barcode system that will add or substract  total inventory.

I am not sure where to start.

I need to keep track of Media that laboratories uses, as new inventory comes in i would like to be able to scan the barcode of the products and have it increment by one or decrease by one.

Or maybe their is a better way to do it, does anyone have any ideals I can try.

Right now I have my inventory in a solution but I found i was making mistakes when I was manually entering the numbers and as inventory came in I had no way of knowing or should I say rememoring what i added into stock on what day.

thank you

• 1. Re: Barcode Inventory adding and subtracting to total in stock
          philmodjunk

Right now I have my inventory in a solution but I found i was making  mistakes when I was manually entering the numbers and as inventory came  in I had no way of knowing or should I say rememoring what i added into  stock on what day.

If your barcode based system just adds and subtracts values, you'll have the same problem and it will be compounded by the fact that with your scanner it's easy to scan an item twice or to point the scanner at the barcode on not notice that it didn't scan at all--particularly if you have a lot of items to scan and are in a hurry.

I suggest you set up a "ledger" system that logs items in and out of inventory just like you would record deposits and withdrawels from a bank account. That way, you can have a record not only of the current quantities on hand, but also of each event that changed those quantities.

The structure of such a table might have these fields:

Date
          ItemID (Your barcode or an ID value looked from a related table when the barcode was scanned.)
          QtyIn (This can always be 1 or you can have the option of entering a larger quantity)
          QtyOut
          cBal (calculation field, QtyIn - QtyOut)
          sBalance (Summary field, running total of cBal, restart totals when grouped by ItemID)

Set up in a list or table view, and sorted by ItemID and Date, this will give you a "ledger" showing not only quantities on hand, but also what events have changed those quantities. (This can be useful in setting re-order points for your inventory.)

• 2. Re: Barcode Inventory adding and subtracting to total in stock
            user14040

Wow!!! that worked thank you so much.. Now i can keep track of my inventory with no problems thanks