2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 1:46 PM by philmodjunk

Barcode scripting questions

JimZ

Title

Barcode scripting questions

So I have bar codes assigned to all of my assets in a database. I created a find bar code button so that people can just scan the bar code on the asset and all the info pops up. The only issue I am running into is when someone scans a bar code that is not in the database. When this happens my script runs them through a bunch of prompts that I don't want them having to deal with. What I would like to script is something that prompts them asking if they want to add a new asset with the new bar code. The following is my current code.

Go to layout [Assets(Assets)]

enter find mode

insert from device [Assets::Barcode;Type: Bar Code; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full]

commit records/requests

perform find

Not sure if there is a way to say if find returns no matching records than display custom dialog box and cancel find. Any help or thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Barcode scripting questions
          JimZ

Of course the moment I ask for help I figure it out.

Set Error Capture [On]

Go to layout [Assets(Assets)]

enter find mode

insert from device [Assets::Barcode;Type: Bar Code; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full]

commit records/requests

perform find

If[Get(foundcount)=0]

show all records

Show Custom Dialog Box

End If

• 2. Re: Barcode scripting questions
            philmodjunk

You've posted a Filemaker Go question in the FM Pro forum. That's really no big deal, but thought you should know that there's a section intended for FM GO.

In this case, the question is answered the same for FM GO and FM Pro.

If you add this script step:

Set ErrorCapture [on]

before the perform find step, you will not get the "no records found dialog interrupting your script when no matching record is found.

You can then use:

If [ Not Get ( FoundCount ) ]

To detect the case when no record matching the inserted bar code was found.

For more examples of scripted finds that you might find useful, see: Scripted Find Examples