AnsweredAssumed Answered

Barcodes often read wrongly in FileMakerPro

Question asked by StevieP on May 2, 2013
Latest reply on May 3, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Barcodes often read wrongly in FileMakerPro

At work we recently started with a barcode system where every item used in production has to be scanned and added to the work order. The problem here, and it's a big one, is that FileMaker seems to be too slow to receive the codes.

For example, I make a barcode named PL00103 using the 3 of 9 font (well known barcode font). The barcode reader will read it perfectly in notepad or anywhere else. If I, however, scan it 10 times into FileMaker Pro (I did a little test), I get the following values:

PL00103
     P00103
     PL00103
     PL000
     PL00103
     P0010
     PL00103
     P0003
     PL000
     PL00103

In other words, FileMaker seriously **** up the barcode which is disasterous. I've tried doing this on several PC's and even on a very high-end work station, it will omit letters and numbers from the end result, resulting in an error because obviously the broken codes won't be found in the database.

The barcode reader is really just a USB keyboard to a computer so it sends the full codes in sequence - I suspect that FileMaker can't handle the quick succession of characters and drops some as a result. The question now is: how do I fix this? It's a pretty darn big problem and it really needs a solution. Thanks for any answers.

Outcomes