1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 6:04 PM by etripoli

Barcoding to Organize

Janina

Title

Barcoding to Organize

Hello,

I'm just setting up our Filemaker Pro and my ultimate goal is for the system to organize our equiptment by barcode. I've been attempting to research barcodes and which solution would be best, but there is an overwhelming amount and not much is making sense. So if you could perhaps direct me in the right direction... or explain, anything would be helpful.

a. I need to figure out an efficient and a cheap way to label our video gear. I looked into metal barcodes, but they are extremely expensive. Now I'm thinking of using a brother P-Touch. Does anyone have any experience with it and what model? Woudld you recommend it?

b. How can I generate barcodes so that each item has a different one? 

c. Is there any Filemaker Pro compatiable device?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Barcoding to Organize
          etripoli

A. I've used Dymo and Zebra printers, even sheets of labels on regular laser printers.  They each have strengths and weaknesses.  For label longevity, ease of use, and cost, I suggest sheet labels.

B. Code 39 barcodes can be generated easily in Filemaker, and printed be applying freely available fonts.  They are simple, can't contain much data, and are prone to errors.  The next step up would be Code 128 barcodes, which require a plug-in to create (well, you don't have to, but the calculations to make them work aren't for the faint of heart).

C. Any barcode scanner that can connect to a USB port is 'compatible' with FileMaker, since it just acts like a keyboard.  For something more portable, check out Intelliscanner.