3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 3:53 AM by Sorbsbuster

Base concept about record import

kenleeltk

Title

Base concept about record import

I want to know what is the base data import mechanism about File maker

Condition:

I have a FM file (database A) which contain about 300,000 records. And i have another mdb (mdb A) file which contain 400,000 records (New version)
           I want to update database A by using mdb A.
           I am using import record by ODBC database source. When i select add new record, what is the base mechanism about that?

Is the script going to delete all the record in database A and then import all the record in mdb A into database A?

• 1. Re: Base concept about record import
          davidanders

I do not know ODBC, but normally Filemaker omits all existing records, imports the new records leaving a found set of the newly imported.

This seems to agree.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/import_export.16.13.html
          Home > Sharing data > Saving, importing, and exporting data > Importing data into FileMaker Pro > Importing data into an existing file

<SNIP>The records you import become the found set. When you import, you can add new records, or update existing or matching records.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/odbc_ess.20.15.html
          Home > Sharing data > Accessing external data sources > Querying an ODBC data source from FileMaker Pro >

Automating ODBC import using the Import Records script step

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10084/~/miscellaneous-behavior-changes-in-filemaker-pro-12

Filemaker12 behavior changes  IMPORTING DATA

Importing data from FileMaker Pro no longer imports data from fields that were added or changed after field mapping was defined in the Field Mapping dialog box. Data is imported only from fields specified during the original import mapping.

The previous import mapping ( at runtime and design time ) automatically added fields to import into if they have been added after the import was defined, and the source has enough fields to pull data from. Also, there had been some reports that adding/removing fields from the SOURCE file (fmp format) "messed up" a pre-defined import ( at runtime and design time ).

In FileMaker Pro 12, if a field is added to the destination, it is not set to import into, just because there is a source field available. This avoids developers from updating all the imports in all their scripts in all their solution files, just because they added a field to the destination FileMaker file. Also, when importing from a FileMaker format file, the keys are stored along with the order. When resolving the mapping, if the key of the nth destination field doesn't match what's in the file, that entry is treated as no-import.

A side effect of this new behavior is the first time an import is performed for that file, the user has to explicitly turn on each field to import into, as opposed to the legacy behavior of the user having to clear out fields they don't.

Conversion: FileMaker Pro 12 is unable to detect what the keys were for existing imports from a FileMaker file since that information is only available when the order was last made/modified, but the first time the order is modified it is updated with the current field keys in the file.

When switching to a different source table when altering the import order in the UI, the stored import order is thrown away for the table. So re-selecting the original source table acts as normal/legacy. Also, when manually importing from FileMaker files in the same session, you may see "" entries if subsequent source files have less fields.

• 2. Re: Base concept about record import
            kenleeltk

For More information:

I am using FileMaker Pro Advance 11

And this file is located in server side, i want to use schedule to perform the update action

Server is using Filemaker server 11

• 3. Re: Base concept about record import
              Sorbsbuster

You can set up the ODBC link to the second file and import to Filemaker from it.  In the FM file you select the table that you want to import the records into.  The SQL query needs to specify the records to select in the remote file.  When importing records you can choose whether to add the rerods to the table, replace the existing found set, or update matching records in the found set with the new data.

The ODBC wizard will quide you through those steps.