Table1:

Ticket Number

Table 2:

Ticket Number

Action_ID

Table 3:

Action_ID

Action Description

Table 2 can have multiple records for a given ticket number. I need to have in the main layout (table 1) to have a portal to list the actions taken (Table 2). The portal should display and the use select the description and not the Action_ID.  I have created the value lists but I cannot view the description and have the Action_ID be the 'key field'.

Does anyone understand what I am trying to do and what I need to do to make it work?

Thanks,

G

• 1. Re: Basic Dropdown Portal Question
          philmodjunk
             Have you tried using a 2 column value list where column 1 is the key field and column 2 is the description?
          • 2. Re: Basic Dropdown Portal Question
            gcorpuz

Yes I have. But when I select a new value, the description is displayed in the dropdown but then the Action_ID is displayed when the dropdown rolls up. In the field/control setup, for Display Data From, that should be from Table 2 since there will be multiple records.

Table 2 should be:

Ticket Number

Action_ID

Action Description

If I have Action Description set to be displayed, after I select a new value from the drop box, it is Action_ID that appears.

• 3. Re: Basic Dropdown Portal Question
              philmodjunk

This is a known limitation of filemaker. I know of two solutions, neither are perfect:

Option 1:

Format your field as a pop-up menu instead of a drop down list. For some reason, pop-up menus formatted with a 2 column, first column hidden value list, will display the 2nd column even though your menu action has correctly input the ID number into the field itself.

Option 2:

Put the matching related description field next to your drop down formatted ID field. Format your field to use the drop down arrow and resize the field so that ONLY the drop down arrow is visible. This gives you:

[relateddescriptionField][arrow]

this will look like what you want even though its really two fields.