4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 11:49 AM by FreFrefri

Batch Importing and Merging: a) photos and b) excel with image descriptions

FreFrefri

Title

Batch Importing and Merging: a) photos and b) excel with image descriptions

Hi,

I am new to FileMaker and evaluate how easily I cam make it work for my only use case: I am helping my dad to organize his collection of old cameras, photos etc. 

I already know that FM does most of what I need, and am confident to figure out most. I would appreciate support in getting started though: Importing all information.

Starting points are: 

1.           a folder with 2,000images 
      3.           an excel file with different columns, describing all images. The spreadsheet contains a column that has the exact image name and path

How can I import both sources and merge / match them?

one way would be to use a different tool to write the metadata from the excel to the image, and then use the getcontainer script (though I don't know yet how to use it). That seems to involve too many error prone steps though, and might limit how I use the fields in FM for items that would be added later. 

I much appreciate help on the direction I need to investigate, don't need a step by step guide  (I hope ;)

thanks!