1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 12:39 PM by philmodjunk

Beggining with file management

DiegoMellado

Title

Beggining with file management

Dear all,

Thanks first of all for your attention. I have been digging the forum and after a couple of hours I am a bit confused, let me ask for a bit of help.

What I would like to do is to be able to open a file store extarnal to the database by clicking or double clicking on the container and being able to update the path of the file to open just by dropping a new/different file on the container. I am using Fime Maker Pro 12

I would like to "link" some file in a container. This means just a reference and not copying the content into de database.

I understand that is possible by inserting reference only but, is that possible by dropping a file by default?

I would like the container to keep the icon I have assigned to it after linking the reference. Is that possible?

I assume I need some scripting for the clicking/double clicking thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Diego

• 1. Re: Beggining with file management
          philmodjunk

Drag and drop physically copies the file and inserts the copy into the container field. You'd need to use one of the "insert" options from the Insert menu to insert a file by reference.

But if you specify external storage for your container field, you can drag and drop a file into the container field and then FileMaker exports that file to the specified external storage location and updates the container field with a link to that external copy.

But if You set up the OnObjectModify script trigger on the container field, the script can export the file to a specified location and then insert the file or picture "by reference" from that specified location.