2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 11:40 AM by JillAnderson

Beginner - problem with portal

JillAnderson

Title

Beginner - problem with portal

Hello,

I am creating a database to keep equine records in using one of the starter solution databases and then making modifications. I created a portal that would allow us to track medical notes with the following fields: Date, Treatment, Notes. I created these 3 fields in my main table, then created a new table called "Medical history" and added these fields to that table. My portal was set up to draw information from the table "medical history" and I created a relationship between the main table "date", "treatment" and "notes" fields and the same fields in my "medical history" table. I also selected "allow creation of portal records in the relationship editing screen. 

So my portal works fine - mostly. When I type in one set of information and then go to the next portal row, the fields automatically populate with the information I typed in the previous row. I am assumining I messed up somewhere in the relationship. Does anyone recognize a glaring mistake I made? Can you help?

Thanks,

Jill

• 1. Re: Beginner - problem with portal
          philmodjunk

Instead of this relationship:

Maintable::date = MedicalHistory::date AND
          MainTable::Treatment = MedicalHistory::date AND
          MainTable::Notes = MedicalHistory::Notes

Use this relationship:

MainTable::PrimaryKey = MedicalHistory::ForeignKey

You'll need to look over the fields already defined in your main table to identify the primary key field. It'll be a field with an auto-entered serial number and probably has "ID" as part of its field name.

In your relationship, you only want to match the related records by a field that will have the same value for all the records that are related to your parent record (MainTable). This field must then match to a field in the parent table that holds a value unique to that one record.

• 2. Re: Beginner - problem with portal
            JillAnderson

That worked. Thank you so much!