4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 12:26 AM by lijnbach

Behavior QuickFind on LayOut different from PatternCount Filter in Portal.

lijnbach

Title

Behavior QuickFind on LayOut different from PatternCount Filter in Portal.

Hello everybody,

I think I have a “black spot” in my mind.

I have a global field on my layout. (called; gFilter). I use this global field for two things:

1. I use this global field in a Quick Find on my LayOut and at the same time
      3. Use this global field for filtering my portal ( X relation).

This way the Portal has the same records as the LayOut.

(I use this global field on three fields in the LayOut and three fields on the portal - the same fields)

All worked fine, until I saw that my Portal has more records then the LayOut.

What I found out is the following:

If I have a description field that contains the following values:

First record description field:         First Computer

Second record description field :    Second Discount

And I type “Co” in my global field (gFilter)

The QuickFind returns one record with “Computer”

The Portal Filer returns both values.

So, the QuickFind only recognizes “Co” at the start of a word (also if it is the second or third word), and with PatterCount every “Pattern” is recognized. 

But I can’t figure out how to perform a find on my LayOut with the same PatternCount.

Think I have a black out.

Thanks in advance,

Hans Lijnbach

• 1. Re: Behavior QuickFind on LayOut different from PatternCount Filter in Portal.
          philmodjunk

Quick Find and regular "finds" are "starts with" pattern matching. So one option is to change your portal search to a "Starts with" portal filter instead of pattern match.

In a regular find, you could achieve the same results with *CO*, but note that you can't just put the same text into your global field and get the same results due to the different search text used to produce the same results, you'd have to use two fields. And you can't use such wild cards with a quick find anyway.

But are you sure that you really need to have your found set match the records shown in your portal? That seems a bit redundant.

• 2. Re: Behavior QuickFind on LayOut different from PatternCount Filter in Portal.
            lijnbach

Like always thanks for your Time Phil,

The reason for having the same fields in the portal is that the records are all very similar, with small differences, and sometimes the user has difficulty with cycling threw all the records and find the right one. (But only in this case, in my other portals I use a find within the portal, works fine).

If I use "start with" in the portal filter, does it only check the first word or also the second or third word in the field (in the portal)?

Thanks again Phil,

Hans Lijnbach.

• 3. Re: Behavior QuickFind on LayOut different from PatternCount Filter in Portal.
              philmodjunk

You are correct, you still cannot get exact results with a "starts with" search portal for the reason you specified.

But you could set up a found set of just one record and move from record to record by clicking a button in the portal row. You can even come up with "forward, back" buttons that cycle through the same records shown in the portal without having to cycle through them as a found set.

On the other hand, a script could loop through the rows of your portal and build a list of primary keys to use to update the current found set to match that list...

• 4. Re: Behavior QuickFind on LayOut different from PatternCount Filter in Portal.
                lijnbach

Thanks like always Phil,

I like your last suggestion and build a found set of primary keys to get the same records in the LayOut. As I wrote, it is only in this particular case. In my other LayOuts I use your earlier suggestions on the forum to find records with PatternCount in the portal and go to the appropriate record in the Lay Out by clicking on the record.

Thanks Phil,

Hans Lijnbach