7 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 10:20 AM by ehpowell

Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10

ehpowell

Title

Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10

I'm new to this.  Built a dB using the trial version of Bento 2, but I need to share the database across four users, so I purchased Filemaker Pro 10.  My thinking was that it would be easy to upload the Bento dB files and Filemaker Pro would import them easily and I wouldn't have to make any changes.

I guess I was wrong.  Now I've spent the $ on Pro 10, my Bento 2 trial has expired, and I'm in limbo with my database.

What am I missing? Is there an easy way to upgrade from Bento 2 to Pro 10 or is it labor intensive? 

• 1. Re: Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10
          davidhead

I am not endorsing this product since I have not used it. Just passing on the link:

http://www.macworld.com/article/134791/2008/07/fmpromigrator.html 

• 2. Re: Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10
            ehpowell

I accepted this as a solution ... by mistake.  This solution doesn't work.  i've already spent several hundred dollars.  The link calls for more money for a product I can't use so far.  I kinda feel misled.  This is the first time Apple has failed me with a product.

My IT guy suggested a similar solution, which, with your response, tells me it's too hard to just move Bento to Filemaker, look for a kluge and spend some money to get it to work. 

Isn't there any way, without spending more money or going to an outside product to get the two to sync?

• 3. Re: Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10
              Jade

ehpowell wrote:

Isn't there any way, without spending more money or going to an outside product to get the two to sync?

The current version of Bento does not 'sync' with FileMaker Pro.  If you want to ante up the $49 for your expired trial version, then you can export the data in your libraries in either CSV, TAB or Excel format that FileMaker can import. Note that you will not be able to export any related record lists, media, or file list fields.  So plan ahead and add the required primary key fields in each library before you export the data.
              HTH. 

• 4. Re: Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10
                ehpowell

Thanks, I think I have the files already so I don't have to spend the $49.

Still disappointed. 

• 5. Re: Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10
                  davidhead

I am sorry you have been unable to do this. However, it seems that you have been misled by your own assumptions. I don't believe FileMaker has ever said that you can sync Bento and FileMaker Pro, or that it is easy to change a Bento database into a FileMaker database. I don't know how you can feel misled - do you have any text/site that indicates otherwise?

And BTW, Apple has not failed you here - FileMaker is a separate company. But I don't think even FileMaker has misled you. 

• 6. Re: Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10
                    TSGal

ehpowell:

Thank you for your posts.

When in FileMaker Pro 10, pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> Bento Data Source...".  A new dialog box will appear entitled "Select Bento Source" with the names of your Libraries on the left side.  Select the Library, and then the Collection.  If not Collections are available, then be sure to select "Entire Library" and click "Continue...".  You will then be taken to a new dialog box entitled "Import Field Mapping".  At the top right, change the table to "New Table", and click "Import".  This will add a new table to the current database.

If you run into any difficulties, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Bento 2 to Filemaker Pro 10
                      ehpowell

Thanks,

I found the following on the Filemaker web site, Company Profile:

Ownership: FileMaker, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL).