6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 2:20 PM by TSGal

Bento Address Book not importing

heen

Title

Bento Address Book not importing

I have tried several times to import my 240 contacts into filemaker from bento but the only fields it imports are date created and date modified.  Everything else is blank.  Worked when created from a .csv so I dont know what the problem is.

• 1. Re: Bento Address Book not importing
          TSGal

heen:

Thank you for your post.

What version of Bento are you using?  Do you have more than one copy of Bento on your machine?  If so, remove all except the current version and try again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Bento Address Book not importing
            heen
               I am currently running Bento 2 that I downloaded a week ago.  There is only one version on my mac.
            • 3. Re: Bento Address Book not importing
              TSGal

heen:

When FileMaker Pro imports a bento.bentodb database file, it looks for information in one of the Bento preferences file.  Let's assume that one or both of the Preference files are corrupt.

Remove the following files:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plist

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist

Next, launch Bento 2.  Since the preference files cannot be found, new preference files will be created.

Quit Bento 2.

Launch FileMaker Pro, open your database file, pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> Bento Data Source..."

If you continue to have difficulty, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Bento Address Book not importing
                heen

This file does not exist:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist

I do however have this file:

file:///Users/johnmhine/Library/Preferences/com.filemaker.client.pro.plist

• 5. Re: Bento Address Book not importing
                  heen
                     I am not even sure if Filemaker will do what I am looking for.  I want to be able to open a new document and save it and have it automatically save with a sequential number.  I ideally have a main client folder with subfolders inside that with the actual files inside the subfolders.  The subfolders would have the client name and the documents would be number but also have a description.  I used worlddox in the past but need something for Mac.
                  • 6. Re: Bento Address Book not importing
                    TSGal

heen:

The "com.filemaker.client.pro.plist" file is your preference settings for FileMaker Pro.  Do not remove this.

I'm a bit surprised that the com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist file is missing.  Launch Bento 2.0, use one of your libraries and export to a text file.  This will definitely use the com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist file.  If one is not there, it will be created.

What files do you have located in the following folder:

Home -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento

This will provide some insight into why the Bento file is not being read into FileMaker Pro 10.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.