3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 5:34 AM by TSGal

Bento file can't be imported

vjspin3

Title

Bento file can't be imported

I've tried both "supposed" ways to import a Bento 4 file and can't even get to chose the file. When it gets to the folder with the file, I get a pop-up. See screenshot. The wording doesn't even make sense!

How can a $300+ program that developed Bento and then abandoned it NOT be able to convert a Bento file?

FileMaker_Pro_popup.png

• 1. Re: Bento file can't be imported
          philmodjunk

TSGal has helped quite a few Bento users get their data imported into FileMaker.

Click her name here and private message her for assistance. (I tried searching the forum for some of the links where others have sought assistance, but wasn't able to pull them up.)

• 2. Re: Bento file can't be imported
            vjspin3

Thanks for the suggestion and for your trying to find other related postings; I couldn't find anything either. I sent her a private message —we'll see what can be done.

• 3. Re: Bento file can't be imported
              TSGal

yjspin3:

Thank you for your post.

When using Import -> Bento Data Source..., FileMaker Pro is sending to launch the Bento application.  Mac OS X will then launch the first Bento application found on your computer.  From your error message, Mac OS X has found an earlier version of Bento, launched it, and when that Bento application tries to open your database file, it sees that the database file is from a later version.

There are a two ways to change this.

First, remove all other instances of the Bento application on your computer except for the current version.

If you cannot find any other instances of Bento on your computer, then I suggest using the Bento 4 to FileMaker Pro Migration Tool, as this will create a FileMaker Pro database file that includes all of your data including Media field content as well as all forms.  Once the data is migrated to a FileMaker Pro database file, you can then import the data directly into another FileMaker Pro file.  To download the Bento 4 to FileMaker Pro Migration Tool, see:

http://info.filemaker.com/FMP_overview.html

Scroll down most of the page and click the link "Download Migration Tool".

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.