1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 12:51 PM by TSGal

Bento to FileMaker database conversion?

ideapower

Title

Bento to FileMaker database conversion?

Hi, new to the forum, and to FileMaker Pro. I've been using Bento for project management and contact management since it first came out, and I'm interested in stepping up to FMP, but a bit wary about the transition. A few basic questions:

1. There doesn't seem to be any existing Filemaker (company) support for translating a Bento database to FileMaker Pro. As I've posted on the Bento forum previously, I find this hard to believe, as there's a huge opportunity for Bento to be an "entry point" product, as it could potentially be for me, if the files will translate properly. My question is, how can I transition to FMP the least painfully??

2. Does FMP interact with Apple Address Book in the same way as Bento? I have a fairly extensive contact management system I've set up in Bento, and would like to use FileMaker for that as well if possible.

Thanks

ideapower 

• 1. Re: Bento to FileMaker database conversion?
          TSGal

ideapower:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, FileMaker Pro and Bento do not talk directly to one another.  The best way to get share information between FileMaker Pro and Bento is through a comma-separated values (CSV) text file, which both Bento 1.0 and FileMaker Pro import and export.  With Bento 2, you have a couple additional formats.  In either case, you just get the data; not the forms/layouts.

There is a utility made by third-party developer called FMPro Migrator that supposedly does transfer Bento databases to FileMaker Pro, but I have not had any experience with it.  The developer's name is David Simpson, and you could search the web for more information.

FileMaker Pro does not interact directly with Apple's Address Book (like Bento) unless you purchase a third=party plug-in.  If you search our web site (www.filemaker.com) for "Address Plug-in", you will get a few listings that should point you in the right direction.

If you need clarification for any of the above, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.