2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 9:09 PM by yetanotherwebaccount

Bento, yay, FMPro, argh

yetanotherwebaccount

Title

Bento, yay, FMPro, argh

Happy bento user here, trying to play around with FMPro for work. I downloaded the trial, and I just want an issue matter tracking database that people can use via the web interface. 

So, I created a new database based on the issue tracking template, and enabled web publishing. Works great! Then I decided to, you know, actually customize the database and (re)discovered how difficult it can be. It's so easy in Bento to create a field to contain files. Not so in FMPro. I created a container field, added it to the layout, and it shows up in the web view, but it's not editable. That is, I don't see any way for a user to, via the web, insert a file into the container field. Is that not possible?

On a related note, can single field contain multiple files, like in Bento? Or is one file per field?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Bento, yay, FMPro, argh
          Orlando

Hi yetanotherwebaccount,

Unfortunately you cannot insert items into Container fields over Web Publishing using FileMaker Pro alone, however there is a plug-in you can use, created by 360Works and is called SuperContainer:

http://www.360works.com/supercontainer/

Very highly rated by other developers and definitely worth a test of the demo.

Also you can only insert one file into a single container, so you would need one record per file, which can be in a separate table and related to a main record to group them if you needed.

I hope this helps. 

• 2. Re: Bento, yay, FMPro, argh
            yetanotherwebaccount

Thanks. 

Wow, that 360 works installer is just atrocious.

First, it's a zip file.

Second, it's a structured zip file, so I can't just drag the contents out, I have to extract it.

Third, the installer is java based.

Fourth, now that I've installed java, it won't let me install it because it's looking for FM Pro Server, and I only downloaded the FM Pro trial. 

<scream>