1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 11:50 AM by philmodjunk

best approach to fill fields automatically

HenkHoogerbrug

Title

best approach to fill fields automatically

I am wondering what I have to keep in mind if I want to automatically fill table fields in FM pro. For now I am only testing on one laptop, but in future I want to use my FM solution within my company on windows pc's, MacBooks and mobile devices.

When should I use the option of a calculated (stored field) and when should I use a script to fill the fields? Any suggestions or maybe there is some info on internet I have not already found? Is there a best practice?

Second question: when I have a calculated stored field, can I trigger a recalculation via a script?

• 1. Re: best approach to fill fields automatically
          philmodjunk

To answer the last question first, a stored calculation field will update automatically any time a value in a field referenced by the calculation is modified so there should be no need to trigger any such recalculation.

When should I use the option of a calculated (stored field) and when should I use a script to fill the fields? Any suggestions or maybe there is some info on internet I have not already found? Is there a best practice?

There are way, way too many variables that would influence which method is best to have an answer for that. And you seem to have ignored a third option that can be very useful: You can set up a data field with an auto-entered calculation.