3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 6:41 AM by JimMac

Best approach to same layout: readonly, edit or create new records. based on checkbox/button

rs2.pt

Title

Best approach to same layout: readonly, edit or create new records. based on checkbox/button

I had some difficulty in the title of this post to explain my question.

Maybe because once developed apps for other platforms (web, windows forms) that recorded data in the database, displayed it, edit it, etc... I got some habits and now I'm with some difficulty because the model here inFM is different. In FM we do not have the same control on the elements on screen as in Windows Forms or Web ... for example, can not simply create a checkbox on the layout That locks and un-locks the record so that it is not accidentally changed by the user.

I have an application that records my company's services, it has lots of fields required, contains relations, some more complex than others ... the usual stuff.
           At this time the user accesses the main layout that can change and delete data fields, and or even records ... either intentionally or unintentionally. It would be nice a button that could lock and unlock the record for changes... but I am not even going from this way :-)

The approach I have in mind would be to have 2 repeated layouts, one with all the fields that can not be edited and another layout where the user can edit the fields. Make a button on layout 1 that change to layout (editable) 2 for edit... is this the only pacific way?

I accept opinions and approaches to this method, since I'm not 100% sure if I am missing something ...

thank you

Vitor
           Portugal/Lisbon