2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 12:09 PM by grouper

Best available options for DB sharing?

grouper

Title

Best available options for DB sharing?

Hi all,

I have created a DB in FM pro 12, which I plan to use for a small business. It works fine up to now. The next step is to make it accessible to 2 or 3 people at the same time. The DB is being saved in Dropbox so that it can be accessed from various places. I am planning to give access to the dropbox account to 2 other persons, so that they can open the database file. The final step is to allow access to the DB from a mobile phone.

Which is my best option for sharing the DB? Shared network or Instant Web Publishing? Do I have to get an iphone and install filemaker go for mobile access or is there a way that it can be viewed from any mobile phone that has a descent web browser through the web-publishing option? If I choose the filemaker go, will I have to convert the database or is it done instantly by the software? And will it be as functional as it is in my desktop?

thanks

• 1. Re: Best available options for DB sharing?
          philmodjunk

The DB is being saved in Dropbox so that it can be accessed from various places. I am planning to give access to the dropbox account to 2 other persons, so that they can open the database file.

But this does not actually "share" the database.  Say user 1 opens the database from drop box. Then user 2 opens it. They both now have distinctly separate copies of the database. When they both close the database, you'll find that you have two copies of the same file (one named "conflicted copy...") in your drop box folder and the data will not be identical in the two if both users have modified records in different ways.

To share the database file, move a copy out of drop box and use it as a place to save back up copies of your database. You'll need to open the file with FileMaker Pro on one computer and then other users can use Open Remote to access and open the database up to a limit of 9 other users--including FM GO clients of iOS devices such as an iPhone. (In FileMaker 13, this limit drops to 4 other users.)

The other option is to use IWP--a technology no longer supported by FileMaker in versions newer than 12 as they have replaced it with WebDirect to host database to the intranet or the web. Then users with web browsers--up to the same limit, can access the database. IWP is much more limited than straight FileMaker with FileMaker clients.

• 2. Re: Best available options for DB sharing?
            grouper

thanks for replying

cheers