9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 2:56 PM by philmodjunk

Best course of action to setup an auto fill

DavidRueve

Title

Best course of action to setup an auto fill

Hi,

I have a single text field I need to setup. I want to be able to type in a few letters, press tab or enter and it auto fill a pre made text. I tried setting up a relationship with another database that may have worked, but I could be missing something in the set up. I tried setting it up for auto fill but it takes 2 or 3 minutes to provide results. I also tried setting up a drop down box, which would work if I could do entries without it wanting to highlight and delete all previous inserted text.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

• 1. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
          philmodjunk

You'll need to describe what you want and what you have attempted in more detail.

For starters, how does the "few letters" typed in determine which premade text should be used in the aut-fill?

And the various methods you might use fall into two categories:

1) the data is copied. If the data is later modified in the original source, this copy does not automatically update.

2) the data is referenced, any changes to the referenced data thus automatically update

Both approaches are useful in different situations.

• 2. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
            DavidRueve

Thanks for the response.

I would like to type 3 letters or digits, a simple refernece code. Then tab out of the field or hit enter to go to the next line. At which point the three letters auto fills into pre made lines of information. Typing in a reference code is not nesscary. The drop box feature would work perfect for this if it didn't need to replace all other text in the field because I need to be able to do this multiple times in the same field. The second category you mentioned is where I want to be.

• 3. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
              philmodjunk

This all looked like a very simple thing to set up until you said:

I need to be able to do this multiple times in the same field.

Please explain exactly what you mean by that.

• 4. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
                DavidRueve

We do printable invoices. A large section of our invoices is for "description of service." It is a large text field. We use alot of stanard text to describe our different services. We are constantly writing multiple services on each invoice. So instead of wrting out each service. We would like to type something short or use a list to auto fill thiese services.

• 5. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
                  philmodjunk

But how does that entail doing this "Multiple times in the same field"?

What you last describe would seem to indicate that you do this one time in a field and thus a drop down list seems a very simple thing to use to set this up. It might entail doing this multiple times on an invoice, but each would be in a different related record as part of the line items that make up this invoice.

Or it might possibly mean that you have multiple fields and that you would do this one time in each such field if you have not set up an invoice with a table of related line items in a portal.

but multiple times in the same field????

• 6. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
                    DavidRueve

Nope, it is a single text field. We type multiple lines of service in this single field. Example below.

OS1. Oil service. Changed oil and filter. Topped off fluids. Set tire pressure

TB2. Timing Belt Service. Changed belt and water pump.

FB1. Front brakes serviced. Replaced front pads and rotors.

This is typed into this single text field. I want to be able to make OS1, TB2, FB1, etc. auto fill. The drop down box would work if I could use it multiple times in the same field. The normal auto complete option for the "edit box" would wrok great too. If it could be set to search from a seperate database or values list of my making.

• 7. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
                      philmodjunk

So you want to type in OS1. and get " Oil service. Changed oil and filter. Topped off fluids. Set tire pressure" to appear in the field? And each such entry starts on a new line of text?

Why put it all in one field?

A portal could be used with each entry in a different row of the portal and this would greatly simplify the data entry by making an auto-complete value list workable.

A script performed by onObjectKeystroke can probably be devised to do exactly what you describe, it just doesn't appear to me to be the best option.

• 8. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
                        DavidRueve

Yeah. I though about dividing the field into multiple fields. But we also edit, add, and sometime subtract from these standard description to make them fit with each customer. Im concerned this will shift the other fields  so as to not line up with other fields on the invoice. Or possibly cut off important text because the length is not set in stone. Also on a personal note. I have to keep this simple for my bosses. In the office Im the only one able to handle hiccups in programs. A mistake here or there, and my boses get flusttered and yell at me to fix it.

I think I have no fix to my issue. I will play around with it and see if multiple fields can work combined with a drop box. I appreciate your help and time. You been a big help. Thank you.

• 9. Re: Best course of action to setup an auto fill
                          philmodjunk

Not multiple fields, multiple records in a portal. It's not the same thing. And this shouldn't make the data entry part more complex for the user but there definitely might be issues with combining that data with other items on your layout, but I can't provide assistance when I don't have the info from which to work. Those issues might be easy to resolve or making this a more free form entry in a single field may work out as the best option.