1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 7:08 PM by casey777

Best FM Plug in or method to check 100's of URL's

CraigIssod

Title

Best FM Plug in or method to check 100's of URL's

Hello all,

Long time FM user here - since like version 2....but have taken quite a hiatus for the last 10+ years due to learning web stuff (mysql, etc.)....

I need a simple way of using FM to check for the existence of domains (URL's.)

This would need to automatically cycle through 100's of URL's which are listed and simply give me the response header - such as 200, 400, etc....in other words, to return that to the field next to the URL.....

I could manually start the script, as I only need to check once every few weeks. 

Oh, I have FM 7 and 9 Mac.

If there is a better way to do this outside of FM, that advice would be welcome also. I know it could be done with shell scripts, etc. but FM would make it nice anc convienient since I have to keep track of the sites and a couple comments about each anyway.

Craig

• 1. Re: Best FM Plug in or method to check 100's of URL's
          casey777

Craig,

Sounds to me like you should include a web viewer on your layout using Filemaker 9, and give it an object name such as "viewer" or whatever. Use variables (your list of URLs) for the URL address for the web viewer. Then, to grab the first 400 characters from the web content use

SetField ( Results ; Left (GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( "viewer" ; "content" ) ; 400) ).

Hope this helps.