2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 1:22 AM by Pictrix

Best Font Format for future-proofing?

Pictrix

Title

Best Font Format for future-proofing?

In upgrading a legacy solution, I found that some of our fonts were not OSX friendly. They either needed some type of fix/recover or conversion to even load into OSX. (Going from FMP5->FMP10 and OS9->OSX 10.5 and 10.6)

Unfortunately, any of the "fixed" fonts (with same names) aren't being seen by FMP as the fonts the layouts were set up with. FMP asks me every time I open the file(s) and if I click the "show in finder" it goes to find the old "un-fixed" version of the font. It doesn't do any good to "load" those fonts, because those fonts don't work in OSX, and everything defaults to geneva or helvetica or whatever it is. Regardless of what is clicked. (It will also simply be blank for the fontname)

Right now it appears everything on every layout needs to be re-set, unless I can find an option to have FMP map the old fonts to the new updated versions or whatever fix is needed for this. I'm looking at a few hundred layouts ultimately here, and getting a little grumpy at the thought!

Should I be updating/converting these fonts to TrueType or OpenType?

Is there something else I should be doing in the conversion/fixing process to preserve whatever it is that FMP is (or is not) picking up on in order to swap in the converted fonts into their appropriate places?

Also, we have no windows machines and can foresee no need for windows compatibility with this solution.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

• 1. Re: Best Font Format for future-proofing?
          davidanders

Linotype produced a font manager called Font Explorer X

They still have the Free version 123 available at their website.

It will analyze fonts on OSX and note those that have problems.

If you moved OLD fonts to a newer OSX, they should have been put in a Font Folder on the Harddrive, NOT put in the Font folder in the HD > Library > Fonts

OR in the UserName > Library > Fonts folder

This could replace clean good modern fonts with 1998 fonts.

The problems you are seeing are hard to run down and solve without font tools.

Make notes about where the fonts were placed and do a get info on the fonts, screen capture their info.

Morrison Design produces Font Doctor and it is useful.

Font Management in OS X, by Kurt Lang

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

Take Control of Font Problems in Leopard

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-font-problems

Font problems and management in OS X

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10389716-263.html

Best Practices for Managing Fonts in Mac OS X - 6th Edition (updated: Oct. 2009)

http://www.extensis.com/en/downloads/document_download.jsp?docId=5600039&ref=FMGEN

When moving from OLD FMP versions to newer, it is always a good idea to do a recover (under the File Menu) as you progress from version to version. Newer version seem to less tolerant of corruption.

Ariel, Times New Roman and Verdana are safer font choices. 

• 2. Re: Best Font Format for future-proofing?
            Pictrix

Thank you very much for the links and references. I went through what I was able to this evening, and after a little futzing around... well, there's no easy solution here. It was due for a facelift regardless.

I can be thankful not many fonts were used. 

davidanders wrote:

When moving from OLD FMP versions to newer, it is always a good idea to do a recover (under the File Menu) as you progress from version to version. Newer version seem to less tolerant of corruption.

Ariel, Times New Roman and Verdana are safer font choices. 

I did just try this... on the singular file I'm testing here and got a message telling me NOT to proceed with this copy and there were problems. Three schema or structure changes were noted, all "Reset Table View".

Since I have no concept of what this signifies, I guess the font stuff goes on the back burner for a bit, till I learn something about this.