AnsweredAssumed Answered

best implementation of conditional value lists

Question asked by HarvJNep2n on Jun 24, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 by HarvJNep2n

Title

best implementation of conditional value lists

Mac OS 10.6

Novice-Intermediate user

I'm creating a solution for my father-in-law, who runs a military contracting business. He deals with all branches of the military, and his contacts have different rank naming conventions. I have created fields called "name_rank" and "branch". "Branch" is validated through a value list containing the values "Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard." I have created value lists containing the rank name conventions for each branch: "Air Force Ranks" etc. I need the value list drop down menu for the "name_rank" field to change depending on the branch selected, because Army ranks are not the same as Air Force ranks, etc. 

I thought of creating a script to go into Manage Database to actually change the value list, but that seemed like a less-elegant solution, and I wouldn't know exactly how to do that. 

I also thought of just creating a new table for each of the rank lists and creating a traditional conditional value list based on those records (where each record would be a rank, and each record would have a branch_id). That also seems less elegant to me than I envision this could be. 

Does anyone have any more elegant solutions, or should I just accomplish the goal in the way I described above?

Thanks,

-Bryan 

Outcomes