5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 9:10 AM by BreitenbushIT

Best Method for Sharing DBs Over LAN?

BreitenbushIT

Title

Best Method for Sharing DBs Over LAN?

Hi Folks!  Forgive me if this has been asked before.

I have been serving a couple databases over our LAN via IWP for the past year.  There are many users of these databases, and most of them have no clue how to use FMP.  It has worked well do serve them using IWP, but as you probably know it has been somewhat limiting.

I just took the plunge and purchased FM Server, FMP Advanced, and 10 FMP Licenses.  I am in the process of changing our setup so that people are opening the databases with FMP via the FM Server and I am trying to figure out the best way to set it all up.  The end users don't have much computer skills so the easier the better.  I am wondering if Kiosk Mode might be a good solution?  Users will still need full access to their normal stuff (Mac OS, other programs, etc), but I would prefer they don't have any access to FMP Menus, etc.  

Anyways, I haven't put much research into this yet.  Mostly curious to hear suggestions from people in this forum before I dive into it all.  I also want to mention that I am by no means an FMP expert.  Thanks much!  :)

-shawn-