3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 3:04 PM by Sorbsbuster

Best ODBC Driver For FMP 12

MorkAfur

Title

Best ODBC Driver For FMP 12

Are the Actual ODBC drivers the best to use for FMP Pro 12?

Since they're, as I read it, $34.95 EACH, I wanted to get others inputs before buying.

The demo versions work fine for MySQL so far, but, per the Web site, the "Free evaluation" versions only give you three rows.

Look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

-m

• 1. Re: Best ODBC Driver For FMP 12
          Sorbsbuster

Sorry, this is all news to me. Until now, I thought the ODBC drivers all came free. If I now have to pay $35 for them, after paying £3000 (yes, you read that right) for Server Advanced, then I've just lost another bunch of customers.

• 2. Re: Best ODBC Driver For FMP 12
            MorkAfur

The ODBC drivers for FMP itself are included on the installation DVD (as well as the JDBC driver). Both of these work fine, but the issue for me was trying to connect from FMP to MySQL (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.) and add these tables to my FMP database. Mostly I'd be doing JDBC to access the FMP database directly, so I have that as a workaround.

My posting was mainly to ask ask why ODBC drivers are not free on FMP (for external databases) or if there were better/cheaper options available.

Take a look here at the site I found: http://www.actualtech.com/filemaker.php

Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks,

-m

• 3. Re: Best ODBC Driver For FMP 12
              Sorbsbuster

But I thought that FM could 'natively' connect to MySQL (ie: mount a MySQL data source as a table.).  FM 11 could - I do it, and it works fine.  Once the driver works, it never occurred to me there might be a 'better' one.