AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best options for licencing etc based on my needs

Question asked by LeeMoreau on Dec 9, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 by eoin

Title

Best options for licencing etc based on my needs

Hey everyone,

I'm using the FM Pro 13 Trial still but trying to figure out what I need to buy now since there's the bogo sale ending tomorrow.  Right now I'm a one man shop just my Mac laptop and then I use a PC desktop when I'm in the office often so mix of both.  I've made a CRM system in FileMaker that runs on the desktop currently and is shared so the Mac can also access it.  This works for now, but in a few months I'm hiring 1 or 2 new people, so will have 3 in total for awhile.

I feel like FileMaker Server is overkill and a bit out of budget for us just to host the file.  From my understanding, if a file is shared with FileMaker Pro, anyone who opens it then becomes the person to share it out?  If I wanted to host it on a computer like another desktop, but not actually access it from there do I need to buy FM Pro just for that desktop to share it out even if it's never actually used from there?  Or because it's just sharing the file, can I use the same licence for my Mac laptop on there?

I of course see the benefit of FM Server but it's just a bit expensive right now for us since we are so small and potentially just myself for awhile.  Also while I think accessing the files from a web browser are cool, I found it is slower than using the FM app so no real benefit to it.

Thanks!

Outcomes