AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best Practice for Records Check before New Record Committed?

Question asked by KenKing on Jan 9, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 by KenKing

Title

Best Practice for Records Check before New Record Committed?

Hello all, 

I have a "property" table listing every unique property coming through the company. I also have a "deal invoice" TO, which is related to the Property TO. 

My goal is to have the user input a Property on the "Deal invoice" layout, then check to see if there is a record of that inputted property in the "Property" table; if not, then add such user input as a new property then set field "DealInvoice::PropertyID" as the new property; if record is Found, then use such found record as the value to setfield "DealInvoice::PropertyID".

Im looking for the "Best Practices" approach for the above (which I believe will be a script).  I can probably string together something (like setting a local variable using a newly created field for the user to type a Property name etc...also, I've got validation set up, but I think validation only gives me an answer (the input is valid or is not), but not sure if I can use validation results  as a variable in a script?.  Also, not sure how best to get the Users input into the script?

Anyhow, I'd like to do this in the most effecient manner.  Any suggestions?

Outcomes