2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 10:45 AM by nolak37

Best Practice for updates

nolak37

Title

Best Practice for updates

I've got a project out that has been installed with several clients and am not quite finished with it, I mean there are a few features I would like to add and some visual changes as well.

Whats the best practice for creating updates?

I currently create a new file and transfer the data from the old one however i'm hoping there is an easier solution since this one does pose several problems.

1. security accounts need to be re-created

2. depending on the size of the file this can take over an hour to transfer all the information

3. this method leaves lots of room for error, meaning I would have to do it myself and cant just trust the office manager or any other person there to do it.

Thanks in advance for any info on the subject

• 1. Re: Best Practice for updates
          philmodjunk

This seems to be the day for discussing update methods ;-)

1. security accounts need to be re-created

I wouldn't do this. I'd open a current copy of the file in filemaker and save a copy with the clone option. I'd then work with this copy of the DB to update it. That way I have all the current accounts and passwords in the copy I am updating.

For more on other issues involved in updates, see this thread and the one it links to:  Setting Up A Development Copy

• 2. Re: Best Practice for updates
            nolak37

Unfortunately I can not do that as there are 3 clients and each has  their own user accounts, so unless I copy all 3 files and do the work on  all 3 which would be very time consuming this doesnt work in my  scenario.