2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 10:17 AM by Kirk_1

Best Pratices

Kirk_1

Title

Best Pratices

I have a separate Sales menu. I need to keep the Sales people with in that menu. I've based their layouts on tables in the rest of the data base, but named them Sales_... I have buttons specific to their needs. and for the most part kept them in their own records. For ex:

When i go to a new layout i take their id with me and do a find with just their criteria - "=" & $SalesID. I set a SaleID field in that layout to keep track of it, so when they leave i have it to go to the next layout.

My issue is that it is still taking them to other sales folks records. I'm not sure how or why.

What is the best way to keep them in their records? I thought of get (accountname) and using that...

Any ideas based on you experience?

• 1. Re: Best Pratices
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you need Record Level Access control. Each Sales Person should open the database with a different account name and password. you can then use setting in Manage | Security to control which records are accessible to each user. One additional benefit of this approach is that any find performed by the user or a script will automatically omit records for which the current user does not have access. This leaves "show all records" and "show Omitted only" as the two primary ways to still pull up those records. If a user does, they are covered by a grey screen that says "no access".

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Best Pratices
            Kirk_1

I have a log on for them already, via the client. I'll look at the permissions.