AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best way of showing values from value list

Question asked by GuilhermePrudente on Mar 25, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Best way of showing values from value list

Hello again!

Hope you guys can help me with this one. I have adopted the decision of having "enumeration" tables to feed the value lists. Basically, I have something like:

EmployeeType ---------------------------------------------<Employee

-EmployeeTypeID(number)                                             -EmployeeID

-name(Manager,Salesman,etc.)                                    -fk_EmployeeTypeID(number)

One thing I have been noticing is that, everytime I pull the information from Employee, on a portal or such, EmployeeTypeID comes as a Number. That is perfect as it is set-up that way. However, to display it "accordingly", I always have to go to the fields populated by value lists and set them as pop-up menu with the respective value list so it is displayed correctly. Is this the most efficient/smart way? I'm afraid of forgetting to update a certain field or having too many value lists flying around the place. Would it also be better to consider the "name"/text information itself as the primary key? It's always seems wrong to keep text as a primary key, to me. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Outcomes