1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 2:31 PM by philmodjunk

Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents

BradWieland

Title

Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents

Can someone point me to a tutorial on creating Table of Contents or Index pages? This would be a simple layout using just 1 or 2 fields and the page number, but there are multiple records per page when previewed.

• 1. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
          philmodjunk

There's no one simple way to do that.

How have you recorded your chapter headings that you want to appear in your table of contents? For that matter how have your structured your data to group it into chapters?

Page numbers as in the page number produced when you print, preview or save as PDF?

Working from what data model?

An index for every word in all records of a given field or set of fields? Or only selected words? Only words three letters or longer? or ???

• 2. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
            BradWieland

Phil,

Each chapter is derived from separate tables with unique records & layouts.

The content for each entry in the Table of Contents will come from one field within each layout, like: <cabinets_wall_table::productname_wall>, <cabinets_base_table::productname_base>, etc.

The page numbers in the TOC should correspond to the page numbers in a resultant PDF (multiple records per page).

I don't know what you mean by "...what data model?"

The index would contain all text within one given field.

• 3. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
              philmodjunk

A data model is the subset of table occurrences and relationships found in Manage | database | Relationships that describes the data you want to use to generate these items and how they are linked to each other in relationships. Unless we know that, it's pretty much impossible to say much about how this might be done. FileMaker is not a desktop publishing system so you might be better off exporting your data to such a system and letting it generate the TOC and index.

Frankly, this statement suggests that any such effort to do it in Filemaker will be far from simple:

Each chapter is derived from separate tables with unique records & layouts.

• 4. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                BradWieland

Maybe I'll just export the TOC part, create the hyperlinked PDF in InDesign and then append it with the FileMaker PDF in Acrobat. I had hoped that this was something that my client would be able to do directly from FileMaker, but maybe not...

How would I have FileMaker determine the correct page number when "previewing" or exporting a PDF?

• 5. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                  philmodjunk

It's not a simple process which is why I mentioned using a product such as InDesign to generate the TOC for you.

To determine page numbers your script has to enter preview mode to preview your layout exactly like you will save it to PDF(same records, same sort order). Then get ( PageNumber ) will return the page number.

• 6. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                    BradWieland

So I would create a field in the Page Footer with this calculation?

• 7. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                      philmodjunk

I assumed that you were still looking at ways to construct a TOC.

If all you want to do is show the page number in the footer. Use the insert menu while in layout mode to insert the symbol for the page number. No field or variable is required.

• 8. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                        BradWieland

Phil, I'm having trouble figuring out how to create the "get ( PageNumber )" function. I assume I need to create a script that has as its first step "Enter Preview Mode" and then "get ( PageNumber )".  But I don't know which fields to reference or how to "attach" the script?

• 9. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                          philmodjunk

We posted simultaneously. Check out my preceding post.

• 10. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                            BradWieland

Yes, I do want to include the page number in the footer, thanks!

But, even if I take your earlier advice to consider exporting the info from FileMaker and creating the TOC in Adobe InDesign, I still need the proper "Preview Mode" page number to reference in the TOC. I'll need to export the fields <Product Name> and <Page Number> (when previewed).

Hence my issue with trying to get the "Get ( PageNumber )" working.

• 11. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                              philmodjunk

I don't quite understand the context of when/where you need to see this page number. You'll then need to create a number field and use a script that enters Preview mode (with proper printer/page info specified) before assigning the page number to this field in every record of your found set of records that you will be exporting to InDesign.

But Won't the page numbers change once you publish the exported data in InDesign anyway?

• 12. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                                BradWieland

I've decided that, for several reasons, bringing InDesign into this equation won't work for this client. So, I'm trying to create a List View layout/script that references the <Product Name> field, enters Preview Mode, and returns the <Page Number> field. I'm hung up on how this should work. Can you give me some tips on this? I've attached a screen shot of my layout.

Thanks for your patience, Phil.

• 13. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                                  philmodjunk

Does this mean that there is one and only one record where Product Name = "Alamosa"? and so on for each listed product?

If so then the challenge is to determine the page number where each such record is located and that can only be done in preview mode.

Try this:

Enter Preview Mode

Use Replace field contents with the calculation field to load a simple number field with the results of Get ( PageNumber )

Any time that your data changes in any way that might affect the page numbers, you have to repeat this to update the page number field.

Then a relationship can be setup (Or an ExecuteSQL query in a calcualtion field) to list your products and their page numbers from this number field.

• 14. Re: Best Way to Create Simple Table of Contents
                                    BradWieland

Yes, only one record. This is a key field.

The "Replace Field Contents" menu is grayed-out while in Preview mode?

1 2 Previous Next