7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 4:05 PM by Scott_JPN

Best way to do multiple looks from same table

Scott_JPN

Title

Best way to do multiple looks from same table

Hi guys,

I have a situation where I'm pulling contact details via a look-up. I would like to pull the contact details on more than one occurrence to the same table.

ie I have contact 1, contact 2, contact 3, etc in table 2 pulling the contact details from table contact. On one layout I pull different contact details up to 10 times.

For each link I'm pulling contact name, mobile, email address, etc

Is the best way to do this by adding a table in relationship and joining each table by calling them contact 1, contact 2 , so I end up with contact table attached say 10 times?

Just looks a bit messy that I need to link contact table 10 times to get the desired result or am I missing something, and this is the only way to do it?

Looking at streamlining the database and want to avoid unnecessary link tables together if I can.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way to link the contact table only once, but pull multiple details onto another table on multiple times.

• 1. Re: Best way to do multiple looks from same table
          schamblee

You don't have any information about your database, so I will guess what you have.  You have at least two tables. A client table and a contact table.

You would then have a relationship between the client table and the contact table which could contain several contacts for each client.  You would then

have a portal on your client layout that displays your contacts with Name, moblie, email address, .....whatever you like.

• 2. Re: Best way to do multiple looks from same table
            philmodjunk

contact 1, contact 2, contact 3... should be separate records, not different fields in the same record. This may require defining a related table for listing contacts.

• 3. Re: Best way to do multiple looks from same table
              Scott_JPN

Thanks guys for your feedback, sorry for not making a little clearer.

I'm using a client table, that is used to print a report that has the need for multiple contacts to be listed, each person has to sign off to verify the details are correct, and once the report is generated, an email copy is sent to all necessary parties.

So currently I have the client table and linked to this is contact table, contact table 2, contact table 3, etc.

I see where using a portal could be a much cleaner approach, but there is the need to have the contact details, mainly the name of each contact on different section of the report, they are not just all in a row in top of each other.

ie. At the top of the report could have a few names, then at the bottom, the people that needed to sign would be together along with their signatures that were captured.

Using a portal and using the Initial row I guess I could work around this.

Appreciate both of our ideas, will have a play and see how I end up.

• 4. Re: Best way to do multiple looks from same table
                philmodjunk

Might the same Contact link to more than one client? If so, you have a many to many relationship and you need a join table to manage the linkage.

but there is the need to have the contact details, mainly the name of each contact on different section of the report, they are not just all in a row in top of each other.

a) Portals need not be formatted to look like a small spreadsheet. You can increase the height of the portal row and arrange fields within the portal row to look like a small form and fields from tables linked to the portal's table may be included in this portal row.

b) Often, portals are used for data entry, but NOT used to print out a report. Instead, the portal records are found on a list view layout based on the portal's table with fields from the parent record included in the layout. The Invoice starter solution uses this method to print invoices if you want to look at a functioning demo file that uses this approach.

• 5. Re: Best way to do multiple looks from same table
                  Scott_JPN

Hi PhilModJunk, yes, on each report there could be up to 10 client names shown. I have it so it also pulls things like Title, mobile, email address, so currently linked to the client table I have the contact table linked up to 10 times, the number needed for what I'm doing. 

Just looks a little messy and wasn't sure if there was a better solution. I see the problem with the portal, when I go to print will be a challenge, but not impossible, as I currently do this with photos. On the same report there is the ability to take photos and add notes on each photo taken. I have been using a portal for this, and was challenged when it came to printing, as I wanted to have two photos side by side, used the initial row option under the format options, love some of Filemaker functions, they really make programing a joy.

• 6. Re: Best way to do multiple looks from same table
                    philmodjunk

You shouldn't "have the contact table linked up to 10 times" from what I understand that you have here. You should only need 1 link--even if you have multiple portals to the same table on your layout.

And for printing purposes, you may not need to put two portals on your layout to get two columns of data.

And you did not answer this question:

Might the same Contact link to more than one client?

If the answer to that is "yes" even if only in very rare situations, you have a potential additional problem in what you describe here.

• 7. Re: Best way to do multiple looks from same table
                      Scott_JPN

Hi Phil,

I have a report table, linked to it is contact table, photo table, project table.

As there are multiple reports, I make an individual report table each time and then link the other tables.

I will play with the portal for the contacts and see how I can only have one link not multiple ones.

Appreciate your feedback.