1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 1:31 PM by philmodjunk

Best way to handle a lot of data?

Varndawl

Title

Best way to handle a lot of data?

I have a form that people fill out that contains a section with a list of 100 different "Items of Interest" that they can choose from. So my first instinct was to create a Value List with those 100 different options and then on my layout I created a field with a Checkbox Set with values from that Value List. The problem then was that I couldn't chart that data. It was only allowing me to see the number of items that were checked in that field rather than me being able to see the number of times each individual item from the value list was checked. 

What's the easiest way to handle that data in a way that I can chart it? Will I have to make fields for each option? That seems like it will be very confusing to view.

• 1. Re: Best way to handle a lot of data?
          philmodjunk

Consider a portal of related records where each option selected is a different record in the portal.

Or this can be done from a list view based on that same table.

Your relationships might look like this:

People----<People_Item>-----Items

People::__pkPeopleId = People_Item::_fkPeopleId
               Items::__pkItemID = People_Item::_fkItemID

Items would be a table of your "100 items of interest" with 1 record for each item of interest. People_Item would record each person's selected items of interest--one record linkis one people record to 1 item record. You can design your People layout to include a portal to People_Item for recording the user's selected items of interest.

With scripting and conditional formatting, it's also possible to set up a portal so that it looks likce a set of check boxes but clicking a check box adds/delete a record from People_Item. This then gives you your "check box" interface but you can chart the data from People_Item.