AnsweredAssumed Answered

best way to handle committees and sub-committees

Question asked by TerryCoolidge on Feb 21, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 by TerryCoolidge

Title

best way to handle committees and sub-committees

I have a many-to-many relationship for tracking church members and the committees they serve on.  Out of 23 committees, three are so large that we basically have "sub-committees."  So rather than just being a general member of these three particular committees, a member has a specific role within the committee (for example, a member of the Sunday School committee is actually signed up to be a teacher, while another member on the Sunday School committee may be a staff member).  I do not want to treat these sub-committees as separate committees.  I want to have one large committee (i.e. "Sunday School"), and then be able to designate the members' function within that committee.  Again, it's only three out of 23 that require this additional designation, and the number of sub-committees is different for the three that have them.

Ultimately I want to be able to send out an email to all members with a list showing what committees they will be serving on, and if a member is assigned to one (or more) of these three special committees, I want to be able to have the list indicate the committee along with the specific sub-committee.  Having just been helped by PhilModJunk to understand how to include a list within an email, I'm guessing that I can figure it out once I understand how best to handle the concept of sub-committees.  So I think this is mainly a conceptual question about how/where to store sub-committee information.  I'm thinking I'm probably going to need a brand new layout for these three committees that have subs, but I do want to keep things as consistent as possible and treat these three like the other 20 as much as I can for other purposes.

Would love to hear your thoughts.  Thank you in advance!  You folks that respond here on the forum are awesome!

Outcomes