2 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 11:43 AM by MWebb

Best way to set up checkbox for "check all that apply"

MWebb

Title

Best way to set up checkbox for "check all that apply"

Hello Experts,

What is the best way to set up "check all that apply"?

Example: Values can be A, B, C, and D

Currently, if person1 check A and then C, it store record as A;C.

If person2 check C and then A, it will store record as C;A for the same record. When I check entry consistency/reliability, this will show up as if entry was not consistent.

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Best way to set up checkbox for "check all that apply"
          philmodjunk

To check to see if a particular check box was selected, use:

Not IsEmpty(FilterValues ( CheckBoxField ; "Value" ) )

I use this so often that I've recently set up a custom function named "InList(list ; value )" just to save typing.

ValueCount ( FilterValues ( CheckboxField ; List ( "A" ; "B" ; "C" ) )  = 3 would only be true if all 3 values have been selected regardless of order.

If you want to tabulate and analyze what values were selected, you are better off setting up a related table where selecting a value (check box) adds a related record with that value stored in it and deselecting (clearing the check box) deletes that record. This allows you to find/sort/summarize/count records in this related table as a way to analyze the choices made in your check box formatted fields. This can still be set up to look and function like check boxes, but is really a portal to a related table listing your options with buttons that create/delete records.

This makes t

• 2. Re: Best way to set up checkbox for "check all that apply"
            MWebb

Thanks Phil.

I do need to analyze the data later. Could you please elaborate how to create related table?