0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 6:07 AM by sccardais

Best Way to Structure a Table of Company Performance Metrics

sccardais

Title

Best Way to Structure a Table of Company Performance Metrics

My table contains monthly performance metrics for our company for the past 8 years. For each of our 10 products, we currently track Revenue, # of New Clients, # of Cancellations, Net New Clients (calculated), # Free Trial Requests and # of Support Calls.

The FMP file is currently structured as shown in "Option 1" of the screenshot below. It shows that "Metric" is a single field using a value list of the metrics shown above. I'm wondering if it would be better to structure this table as shown in Option 2 of the attached screenshot.

Option 2 creates a different field for each metric - currently 5. I think this structure would make data entry a bit easier and I think it would make reports easier as well. My main concern is calculating Rolling 12 Month summary reports and Charts and "not knowing what I don't know" about possible drawbacks to Option 2.

Assuming we never want to track more than 20 metrics, which would require 20 fields in Option 2, is there a reason to pick one structure over another?

Database_Structure.png