AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best way to work on FileMaker database whilst it is in use at different location

Question asked by jamie.hunt on Sep 22, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 by KenS

Title

Best way to work on FileMaker database whilst it is in use at different location

I have created a FileMaker Database for our company. It holds guests information, a record of their previous reservations and tracks which services and retail each guest enjoyed.

The problem I now have is we are open 6 days a week. I would like to further develop the database however I do not know the best way of doing this without messing up the records within it as I need to work on it whilst it is being used. 

I have tried saving a copy, working on it at home and then importing the records the following day. This however caused problems as each guest is given their own id on creation of their profile. 

I imported 34 records that were created on the file still at work into the updated file i worked on and then found that I had 34 duplicate client ID's as the updated file carried on from where it left off. I hope that makes sense.

Basically whats the best way of updating, making changes to my database, without causing havoc with the records in it because I want to work on it in the office while its still being used on the front desk.

There must be a standard method of doing this?

I am using FileMaker pro 10, Max os X and this is the first FileMaker solution vie made.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Outcomes