3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 9:17 AM by philmodjunk

Best way, good pages to read, for developing my FM database away from just 1 user

Title

Best way, good pages to read, for developing my FM database away from just 1 user

Hi,

I'm going to have someone else working on my FM 12 database.

So far all my checkbox fields, like "Need to call company: YES or NO" have worked as only I have been using them. But when someone else starts using the database things will get confusing as she might put YES down to call a company, and I see it and think I didn't do that, or did I, do I actually need to call them, well you get the idea.

My solutions, with less than 6 months FM experience, would be this:

1. Create a new "Need to call company: YES or NO" for the new user.

2. a) Then create a tab so the user can click onto their "Need to call company: YES or NO" tab to see their checkbox.

b) or don't create a tab, and just create a duplicate layout of the database and change my "Need to call company: YES or NO" for their "Need to call company: YES or NO" in this layout.

I think 2b is the cleanest way of doing it, but there may be a much better way that I haven thought about.

I have about 10 fields that I would need to recreate for the new user if I do it like this.

And there are about 50 other fields in the database that do not need to be split, e.g., company name, phone number ...

What do you think I should do?

• 1. Re: Best way, good pages to read, for developing my FM database away from just 1 user
          philmodjunk

I think that we can't really answer without a more detailed understanding of the current design and intended function of your database. wink

• 2. Re: Best way, good pages to read, for developing my FM database away from just 1 user

Thanks Phil,

The database is used for customer relationship management.

I have company records with phone numbers, company name, market they work in, email, web viewer of the company website, notes field to enter details of contact with the said company.

When using the database, for instance, doing a marketing exercise to companies local to London, first I select companies in the London region, then I go through the companies, and check "I need to call" if it is a company that may be interested in the marketing call.

Then when I have this narrowed down list. I go through the companies A to Z calling them.

This issue is now, when someone else is making their own list, and our narrowed down groups overlap their is no way of knowing who should be calling who.

I tried to work out a logical design, and the last post was my best idea, but I thought that as FM is a powerful database there maybe a standard way of making the database functional for more than one user.

• 3. Re: Best way, good pages to read, for developing my FM database away from just 1 user
              philmodjunk

Each time you select a company as one that you need to contact, you should create a record in a related table. These records can auto-enter an account name or User name so that the records created by you are labeled with your name and the records created by your coworker are labeled with their name(s). That then allows you to pull up a list of just the companies you need to contact that omits the records created by others. Once you have made that phone call or other contact, you can click a check box or something to mark that record so that it cannot be pulled up in your list the next time you ask for it.