AnsweredAssumed Answered

Better solution to tagging one and only one post in a portal?

Question asked by paint on Mar 20, 2010
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 by comment_1

Title

Better solution to tagging one and only one post in a portal?

I have the following tables in my project which comment helped me with earlier

Relationships through ID but still see informative text

• Projects
  • Team
  • ProjectTeam (connecting Projects table with team table via foreign key ID#)

I can choose the Project team members for each project via a dwindling list (thank you comment @ FM Forums for the example file)

I now would like to tag a project manager for each project (but only one per project)

I have solved this by adding following fields in the ProjectTeam table

•  “ProjectManager” field with a checkbox of only one value (1)
  •  “ProjectManagerChecking” field with Auto-Entered, calculated value and validation for a Unique value.

Case(

ProjectManager=1;

”X1T”& Team::TeamID;

“XT” &  Team::TeamID & “P” & Projects:: ProjectsID

)

If the team member is added but not tagged as a project leader he will get a number unique for team and project in the ProjectTeam table (XT015P132).

If the member IS tagged as a project leader he will get a number only unique for each project (X1T015).

If another team member is tagged the validation process will take command and tell me to “Revert Record”.

Is there a way to solve this in a “cleaner” or perhaps more professional way? Perhaps without having to press “Revert” twice when I do something wrong.

I could just set a projectmanager-field in the project table and get the information from the Team table but then I would have the unwanted possibility to select the project manager in the project team also. Some will do it, some will not. 

Without saying to much I really would like to give my colleagues a minimum of options to f*ckup.

Anything besides “normal” behavior is considered bad (such as pop ups) but I know that in the long run people find their own “creative” ways of filling in and storing information.  

Outcomes