7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2013 9:59 AM by Badam

Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?

Badam

Title

Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?

I have a data base where I am trying to create a Bill of Materials. I want to use a number of templates that are used to build a finished product. The templates would vary based on different options contained in the finished product. From the research I have done this is a very complex project so I had an idea that I think simplifies this process but I am not enough of an expert to know for sure if it makes sense.

I would store each of the templates stored in excel spreadsheets (part numbers and quantities)

The user would enter the desired option and Filemaker would import the appropriate file.

Part numbers and quantities would be imported the into a join table between BOM and parts list

After the import I would just need to assign each part a Job number to show that group of parts for that particular system in a portal.

The BOM lines would show in a portal on the BOM layout and that table would have the job number.

From there the user could add or remove portal rows to customize the finished product. Once it was finalized; I would want for the BOM to be locked and no longer allow changes.

Does this approach make sense or am I way off base??

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?
          philmodjunk

I would store each of the templates stored in excel spreadsheets (part numbers and quantities)

Why not a FileMaker table or Tables? What advantage do you get from using Excel files for this?

The user would enter the desired option and Filemaker would import the appropriate file.

But instead of a file, selecting an option could specify a set of records in a FileMaker Table--hence my first question is repeated: Why the files?

Part numbers and quantities would be imported the into a join table between BOM and parts list
                    After the import I would just need to assign each part a Job number to show that group of parts for that particular system in a portal.
                    The BOM lines would show in a portal on the BOM layout and that table would have the job number.

That triggers multiple questions. Typically, a BOM table is set up in a relational database like this:

Product-----<BOM>------Parts

Where a record in Product identifies a single product that can be produced. The BOM records list the part IDs and also the quantities needed to produce one unit of product. (one automobile, one gallon of blended fruit juice, one ton of artificial sweetner....) And the records in Parts are an inventory of the parts and materials needed to manufacture any of the Products listed in the Products table.

Since any given part can be used to manufacture more than one product and a product can require multiple parts, this is a many to many relationship and the BOM table IS the join table. In fact, the Parts and Product table occurrences often have the same data source table so that one unified table lists all parts consumed and all products produced by the manufacturing process.

Thus, I am confused as to why you need a "Join table between BOM and Parts".

• 2. Re: Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?
            davidanders

BOMs are discussed in multiple threads on this forum, this is a list

https://www.google.com/search?q=BOM+site%3Aforums.filemaker.com

• 3. Re: Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?
              Badam

Phil,

Thanks so much for the response. That gives me a good road map to get started. I figured I was somewhat off on my approach but that makes sense that the BOM is the Join table. I will work on it from here and see how far I can get! Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?
                philmodjunk

Generally speaking a database designed to support a manufacturing process needs about 5 main modules:

Specifications: How each product is manufactured What we have discussed here is part of the specs portion of the system

Supply Chain: Managing the Parts inventory and determining when and how much to re-order each part in inventory

Scheduling: Setting up what, when, how you will manufacture in upcoming dates. linked to supply chain

Production: Documenting what you actually produced and consumed during production process and updating parts and product inventories

Shipping: Documenting delivery of product and updating product inventory accordingly

• 5. Re: Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?
                  Badam

So I have 3 tables,  Products----<BOM>-----Parts

I relate Products to BOM via a product ID allowing Creation of records from Products to BOM

I relate BOM to Parts via a Part ID allowing Creation of records from BOM to Parts

Without having the option for allowing Creation of records from BOM to Parts I am not able to add part ids within the portal and it seems to add unwanted records to my parts list ...........so am I do I need either a different/additional relationship or table occurrence?

• 6. Re: Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?
                    philmodjunk

I relate BOM to Parts via a Part ID allowing Creation of records from BOM to Parts

No need for that. You have the wrong field in your portal row. Sounds like you are modifying Parts List::Part_ID instead of BOM::Part_ID.

• 7. Re: Bill of Material Simplified??? Maybe?
                      Badam

You were exactly right, that did it. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help on this.