5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 6:37 AM by TSGal

Bingo Hall Software

mikajake

Title

Bingo Hall Software

Hi there, I have been given the task of converting a excel spreadsheet to access. It is a spreadsheet that looks after daily bingo finances for both the hall and the organizations that host their charity at the hall.

Here is the outline. Each day, there are three sessions (Matinee, Evening, Late) During each session, one organization plays their 8 games, all different types of games as well as each game had a different financial structure)

I am at a loss as to how I should be designing this. Reports are another thing all together.

Any ideas would be nice.

Mika

• 1. Re: Bingo Hall Software
          TSGal

mikajake:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, you don't provide enough information about what is the end result.  That is, did you just want to keep track of the games?  Keep track of the organization?  What data will be entered?  Is this for your own use or is this for others to use?  Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

From the knowledge available, you will need a table for organizations, a table for games played, and a table for game structure - the different types of games and the "financial structure".  This way, you can attach the type of game with financial structure to the game being played.  Also, you can link the game being played to the organization.

How familiar are you with related tables?

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Bingo Hall Software
            mikajake
               File 3

File1

Firstly, my knowledge of filemaker is newbie/intermediate.  I have some relational understanding.  But quick to learn.  Someone told me / research that filemaker is one of the more easy database systems to learn.  I have provided a sample of what the input sheet in excel looks like.  Also I have added what I thought I had to do for relationships.  The goal of the database is to provide a printout showing hall owners what percentage they are paying out to the organizations renting the hall.  Cannot go over 70% by law here in ontario.  I will provide the report later as I have to adjust it to not show actual numbers (sure you understand)  I am just curious if I am on the right track

• 3. Re: Bingo Hall Software
              TSGal

mikajake:

Your diagram of the relationships look fine.  The report looks fine.  You are definitely on the right track.

Are you having difficulty setting up the layout to look like the report?  Did you want the report to look like the Excel printout?

I don't see the "hall owner" listed in the tables.  Is this database for the hall owners?

Anyway, let me know if you need any other clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Bingo Hall Software
                mikajake

Yes for one hall owner here in town.  They may open another hall.  Yes I would like to have the report look like that in excel, but i realize that is a crosstab looking report and thus is difficult and long to setup in filemaker.  Do the relationships look fine really?  Or should I design it around one form by which the user selects say, game 1 and its financial input screen comes up..perhaps on a tabbed layout.

anyhow thanks for the advice already given.

Mika

• 5. Re: Bingo Hall Software
                  TSGal

mikajake:

You could set up separate screens with the different game information.  You can then set up a screen for display purposes (and it may look similar to the Excel form), where the hall owner can click on one of the games, and the owner is taken to one of the layouts for that game.  For example, if the hall owner clicks on "Nevada", the layout changes and you can view the Nevada games.

Your print layout can look like Excel form.  You would need portals into each of the other tables, and fields to add up the totals.  Very doable.

Try starting slowly with one game/table.  Once it is working well for one game, then add the other games.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.