1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 1:52 PM by philmodjunk

Birding Database

ReidAllen

Title

Birding Database

Hello-

I'm a birder.  Thus, I have lots of lists of birds seen here and there.  What I'd like to do is explained below:

Iowa has 99 counties, and I keep a list of bird species seen in each of the 99 counties in Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 (currently 12,700 records)..  There are about 400 species that might be seen in the state, ie. 39,600 potential records.  I would like to be able to create a list for each county that shows me the birds I have seen and those I'm still looking for.

It seems to me that somehow I should be able to connect the 12,700 records with the 400 species and with the 99 counties to produce a checklist for each county.  And not have to enter the 400 species for each county.

I know this sounds goofy, but lots of birders are goofy!

-Reid Allen

• 1. Re: Birding Database
          philmodjunk

It's not goofy and yours is the second person to post to this forum that I can recall who was working on a bird watching database. You might search the forum for "bird watch" and see what pops up to see how the other discusson went.

What you have here is called a many to many relationship. A given county can list many species and a given species can be observed in many counties. This can be implemented with a Join Table:

Counties-----<County_Specie>-------Species

Counties::__pkCountyID = County_Specie::_fkCountyID
               Species::__pkSpeciesID = County_Specie::_fkSpeciesID

If this notation is unfamiliar, see: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

This can work to provide what looks like a checkbox list of all species in a portal on your counties layout. Clicking the "check box" (really a button in this case) creates the needed record in the join table or (if you click it again), removes the same record to 'clear' the check box.

See this demo file to see a starting point for setting up such an interface: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7

The check box list example shown here could be enhanced to list user selected groups of species to make it easier to select those that have been observed. Those groups might, for example, match the grouping of a bird watching resource such as the Peterson's Field Guide uses.