3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2013 9:01 AM by Sorbsbuster

Bizarre FIND behavior please help

JSO

Title

Bizarre FIND behavior please help

Here's an example of the problem:

I have multiple records with a text field that contains the text "1/23".

If I enter find mode and type "1/23" into the field, no matches are found

If I copy the "1/23" that's already in the field and enter find mode and paste it in, the records are found

It seems to only occur with numbers. I've been using FileMaker for years and I've never seen this. I converted from 8.5 to 12 recently and the database crashed recently, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I rebuilt the field index but that didn't do anything.

THANK YOU

• 1. Re: Bizarre FIND behavior please help
          philmodjunk

I just typed 1/23 into a text field.

When I enter find mode and type in 1/23, it finds that record. So I am not able to reproduce this.

That recent crash could have damaged your file or just screwed up an index or two.

You might try using recover's advanced settings to re-index all of your fields and then see if the copy with rebuilt indexes still shows this behavior.

If you have FileMaker 11 or newer, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:

1.           With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
          3.           Select "Use advanced Options"
          5.           Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".
          • 2. Re: Bizarre FIND behavior please help
            JSO

Thank you for your response! I tried the recovery and no change in the behavior. This is a shared database, could text inputed from different computers have different formatting or encoding that prevents it from being findable from other computers?

• 3. Re: Bizarre FIND behavior please help
              Sorbsbuster

What happens if you create a new, one-field database with just a text field in it, enter that sample data and see if the Find works?  And if you share it, and the other users enter the same data?