3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 12:36 PM by ChelseyDirkson

Black diamond with white question mark in imported text.

ewelch_1

Title

Black diamond with white question mark in imported text.

I have imported text from an Excel spreadsheet that was the result of an export of data from our Open Text Teams DAM (using Crystal Reports I think). TEAMS is running on an Oracle database running in Windows Server.

Unfortunately, I'm getting some format errors. For example, an apostrophe in the word "Journal's" puts a black diamond with a question mark where the apostrophe is when viewing in Filemaker Pro. But when I copy that and paste it here, it comes out as: Journals.

Any idea what's going on? 

• 1. Re: Black diamond with white question mark in imported text.
          TSGal

ewelch:

Thank you for your post.

In Excel, is the apostrophe a straight apostrophe or a curly apostrophe?  If curly, this may be a translation problem when importing into FileMaker Pro.  I've previously used Excel but I don't know if there is a preference to set that option.

Anybody with Excel experience?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Black diamond with white question mark in imported text.
            eric2_1

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the response. It appears that it was just the view was set to the wrong encoding. Thanks. (Sorry for the long response, had to get out of town fast when my father passed away.) 

• 3. Re: Black diamond with white question mark in imported text.
              ChelseyDirkson

Hi ewelch:

I am currently experiencing the same issue that you were having. A black diamond with a white question mark appears in my import. You mentioned that the issue was because the view was set to the wrong encoding, would you mind explaining this further? I'm a autodidactic filemaker user so I'd really appreciate the help. I've been maintaining and slowly improving the database over the past 4 years and everything was working as it should be until last week. I went away on holidays and (not blaming it on my coworkers) when i returned the issue was there.

Thanks in advance,

Chelsey