3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 5:51 PM by deathrobot

Blank field in Find Mode

deathrobot

Title

Blank field in Find Mode

I have two tables, Projects and Companies, joined via Projects::id_Companies and Companies::id. On the Projects layout, I have the id_Companies field as a dropdown menu that shows the names of companies instead of the id. On top of this, I placed the company name field. It does not allow entry, but exists so that I see the name of the company instead of the id. My question is, when I'm in Find Mode and select a company from the dropdown id_Companies field, the name field remains blank. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Michael

• 1. Re: Blank field in Find Mode
          philmodjunk

You could use a pop up menu instead of a drop down list.

You could set up a search field--a global field for selecting this data while in browse mode and then a script trigger controlled script can perform the find when you select a company from the drop down. You'd need a separate relationship to a new table occurrence of companies to display the correct company name in the covering name field, but this would work.

• 2. Re: Blank field in Find Mode
            deathrobot

Hi Phil, and thanks for your answer. I experimented with your pop up menu idea, but wanted to see if I could do it with a drop down. The global field method may be difficult with my current layout. I was also able to get a working solution by making the top field enterable, assigning a drop down to it that shows the company names, and using an onObjectEnter script trigger to got to the id field/drop down. This works in Browse Mode, and I disable the script trigger in Find Mode. The find is performed on the actual name instead of the id, but that works fine. The only negative is that the name drop down is triggered before the onObjectEnter can take action, so there's a double drop down happening. Do you know of any way to get out of the field BEFORE the drop down is triggered?

Thanks for all your help!

Michael

• 3. Re: Blank field in Find Mode
              deathrobot

Actually, not sure why I didn't think of this before, but if I allow the top field to be non-enterable in Browse Mode and enterable in Find Mode, everything works great. The drop down is not triggered in Find Mode, but that's okay in this situation.